Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Mukah


Mukah, one of the places that i wanted to visit this year.I have a few reasons to go there, reason number one, is “umai”, "umai" and more "umai" and I want to see how Mukah look like now. I want to smell and listen to the sounds of home, the language they used are mostly Melanau, so I feel like in my late mom's old kampung, about 30 minutes drive from Mukah. They all speak and understand Melanau actually, even a Chinese guy I talk, speaks like a real Melanau. Adaptation is what made human the best creature ever created.
 
A regular sight in Mukah
One of the many jettys in Mukah
The colorful fishing boats.
The jetty across the river
An old Melanau house by the river, a sight that might not be around anymore soon.
An old man fixing his nets.
This is what Mukah  look like now.
This used to be a busy road in Mukah
A Chinese temple facing the river mouth
Another old house I consider as a land mark for Mukah, when ever I see this house, I know I am nearing the river bank. 
This empty space used to be occupied by a few wooden shop houses
Another major road toward the riverside
This wooden shop houses right in front of the King Ing Hotel , the "umai" place for me.
This parking space in the picture was where what used to be a row of wooded shop houses
The riverside
Another view of the Chinese temple
The busy market
My favorite part of the market, the wet market

Yummy!
Ah Lai, Ah Ngaa and I by the river
If you planning a holiday and you want a quite surrounding, you want to see the traditional fishing industries, the authentic foods, histories, myths and believes, Mukah is a must go place for you. You can drive or take a bus and flying in with MasWings from Kuching International Airport. The are plenty of hotels and inns at a very reasonable rate but you need to book early during Pesta Kaul in April. 
I am going to miss Mukah, the people and "umai". I hope I have another opportunity to come back and stay a bit longer to visit all the places in Mukah.

No comments:

Post a Comment